Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Uncoupling Magnet - Option Two

After couple of e-mails to my friend Richard, I when on a hunt for some magnets. Finally found some that I thought would work.

What I got were some 1/4" dia. x 1/8" thick magnets at Hobby Lobby.


Based on the info I got from Richard. I had a couple of options for a base either a washer or a small piece of sheet metal. I opted for a washer, so I dug thru my draw of misc nuts, bolts and washers, and found a 1/4" fender washer which is about 1" dia..

With the instructions here what I came up with


The magnets were painted on the North or Positive side. A spacer of 1/4" x 1/16" balsa wood holds the magnets apart as they try to pull together. The space between the magnets is formed by the natural repel force of the magnets. I had not glue the magnets down at this point but I believe I should before final placement.

The uncoupler setup was placed in the pocket I created under Option One and place the cork roadbed and track over it. I was able to uncouple MT to MT, MT to Accumate and Accumate to Accumatewith good success, only quirky issue is the accumate to accumate, I needed to get a full car away from magnets for the couplers to re-align for re-coupling.

At this point I am moving forward with Option 2

No comments:

Post a Comment